Below you will find the information on Supervision again as it appears not everyone received it and it is very important for all teachers to read.
Inclement Weather Supervision
I am still trying to find the inclement weather that is apparently occurring at some HCDSB schools since school started.
Inclement Weather Supervision should only be called for Inclement weather
(rain, snow, extreme high wind, ect). If inclement supervision is called on days it is sunny out please take a picture with the date and on it write inclement weather so we can track the days it is being called with proof that it is not inclement weather. Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
. The picture only needs the sign with the date to show the weather so no one can be identified.
Teachers are required to provide 3 days of emergency plans in the case of an absence. After the 3 days the Occasional Teacher would plan based on what was covered and student needs. Be sure to update your Emergency Folder and have it somewhere noticeable in your class.
Protect Our Students Website
Please do not engage on this website. All health and safety concerns are to be reported to your administrator and health and safety rep.
Also be mindful of what you post on social media. You are a Catholic Teacher 24/7.
The local bargaining team had a few bargaining dates with the board in the summer and we have another date this month. Once we reach a settlement we will provide information on ratification. Also once we ratify teachers will get the 1% lump sum from last years salary increase and this years salary will increase as per the central terms. OT’s have a separate agreement which we bargain jointly with the secondary OT’s and they have a separate ratification process once we reach a settlement as well.
I have been hearing from some teachers about scheduling issues so I just want to clarify a few issues:
1. Teachers teach (or have planning time) during a 300 minute instructional day. This is all the hours in the day minus AM recess, lunch and PM recess. Those periods are not counted in the 300 instructional minutes. This time starts at the school start time and ends at the dismissal bell.
2. All teachers get a 15 minute AM break, 1 hour lunch and 15 minute PM break. All teachers get an hour for lunch and 40 minutes of that time must be uninterrupted. Days you do not have a lunch duty the full hour is yours.
3. Planning time cannot occur during a recess or lunch time. Planning time must be scheduled within the 300 instructional minutes.
4. Kindergarten teachers have the same working conditions. Kindergarten teachers should also have a 15 minute AM break, 1 hour for lunch and 15 minute PM break. They should be on the regular school schedule as every other teacher and only have 80 minutes of supervision.
5. There is an 80 minute supervision cap. If there is a temporary situation where teachers are over while waiting for a LTS the time over 80 minutes a week is to be banked. If your school schedule has everyone over and no intention of changing that I need to be made aware.
6. If teachers are being scheduled to be with a class during any of the school break times that counts as supervision. If you have not been given the same breaks or lunch as everyone else that is supervision and needs to be banked.
7. Inclement weather supervision is for INCLEMENT WEATHER! It is called inclement weather supervision so if you are being told to go on inclement duty and it is perfectly sunny out and there is no inclement weather it needs to be banked. The Unit office should be contacted when you are being directed to do inclement duty and there is no inclement weather.
8. School starts at the designed school start time. You are required to be at school 15 minutes prior to the school bell but any time you are required to supervise students in that time frame it is counted as supervision.
9. After school supervision. Teachers can be given this duty but it must be included in the 80 minute cap. If your duty is suppose to be 15 minutes in length but you need to remain out longer you would bank the excessive time.
10. ISSAC. All ISSAC committees should be meeting and going over the schedule together to ensure they are fair and equitable. The form SHOULD NOT be signed if there are concerns to the scheduling and the Unit should be contacted immediately. The OECTA rep is the only teacher who is to sign the form. Once completed a copy is to be sent to the Unit office.
11. Teachers who travel to another school at lunch have that travel time counted as a duty. Any day a teacher travels at lunch to another school it is considered a 15 minute duty and counts towards their 80 minute weekly cap.
12. Part time teachers have supervision and planning time prorated to their FTE.
13. Occasional Teachers take on the schedule of the teacher they are replacing. Their schedule should not be changed. The only person authorized to change their schedule is the administrator.
14. Teachers cannot negotiate their own working conditions or agree to changes from the Collective Agreement. We have a collective agreement for a reason and it is to be followed. You cannot agree to make changes to your working conditions. Any violations of the collective agreement need to be reported to the Unit. By agreeing to do things that contradict the collective agreement you are undermining all OECTA members and the bargaining process. The Association is the exclusive bargaining agent for every teacher.
15. We are all in this together! We are all teachers and OECTA members and must support each other. We are only as strong as the collective. You should never be made to feel bad for standing up for your rights! We are OECTA Strong!
16. Whenever in doubt contact the Unit office!